What's this all about?
We’re once again giving everyone the chance to submit their artwork for possible inclusion on a ToDryFor tea towel!
The 2012 design competition was won by Moira Millman, with her super-cute, pun-tastic Personaliteas illustration. Over the last year, the resulting tea towel has been sold through various shops and galleries across the UK, and around the world. In addition, we liked the design so much that we also produced it as a mug (via our sister-brand, Beast In Show
What's in it for me?
We are offering one lucky winner the chance to become part of our existing line-up of fantastic artists
, which includes Gemma Correll, Rob Ryan, Julia Pott and other highly acclaimed individuals.
The winning design will become part of our ToDryFor range
and will be launched at Pulse 2013
. Located at London's Earls Court exhibition centre, the show attracts around 6,000 high-end, design-conscious buyers from top department stores to beautiful independent boutiques - the perfect showcase for fresh new talent.
We will also promote the tea towel, and the winning-artist, to press; fingers crossed you might see your artwork appearing in glossy magazines and newspapers before the year is out.
Our ToDryFor range is currently stocked in shops and small chains across the UK, Europe, USA, Australia and Japan, so your artwork will be seen all over the world!
Whatever... would I get any money?
If you win, you will be paid a percentage commission per sale on an ongoing basis (15% on retail sales via our websites and 10% on trade sales, ex VAT). You will also receive 5 free samples of your tea towel design for your portfolio (or to give to your nan, whichever you prefer). You will be featured on our artists' biographies page
, and your name will be embroidered on a label affixed to the back of the tea towel, and also included on an insert in the finished product's packaging.
Right then, count me in. What should I do now?
- Firstly, your artwork will need to fit our design specification (see below
- You'll then need to email your design to , stating your name, location, and a link to your website/online portfolio (if you have one).
Them's the rules...
- The competition is open internationally, so absolutely anyone may submit artwork.
- You are only allowed to submit one design - make sure it's your best!
- The design needs to be exclusive to this competition (so please don't use it anywhere else before you know if you've won or not).
- Most importantly, the design must be your own intellectual property and you must have the exclusive copyright and right of use (so no scanning in stuff from magazines, thanks). This is important otherwise we are not legally allowed to print your design. If your design gets chosen, you grant us the exclusive right of use to print your design.
- By entering the competition you agree to our Terms and Conditions (see below
What's the deadline? I've got other stuff to sort out you know.
The closing date is Sunday 24th February, 2013; we will need to receive all design submissions by midnight GMT. Any entries received after this date will not be included in the competition.
How and when is the winner going to be chosen?
The winner will be chosen by us (Sally and Dave, owners of ToDryFor) and will be announced the week commencing Monday 4th March, 2013 on our blog
, our facebook page
and via twitter
. Our decision will be based on our own personal preferences (fingers crossed we agree) and also the design's commercial viability; as much as we'd like to produce a tea towel featuring a yeti swearing blue murder, it's probably not going to happen...
We're happy for the design to be either portrait or landscape in format. The image can be as small or as large as you wish within the given print area, or it can bleed off the edge of the tea towel (e.g. Bake Me
The dimensions are as follows:
Max image size: 42cm x 70cm
Finished sewn size: 48cm x 76cm
All over (bled and stitched) spec
Ideal image size: 50cm x 77cm
Finished sewn size: 48cm x 76cm
- We will accept jpg, tif or pdf file formats, which should be 1024 px on the longest side.
- Submission artwork should be supplied at 72dpi.
- You will need to include the pantone coated colour reference for each colour used within the artwork* in your submission email.
* Please bear in mind that the winning design will be screen-printed, so the design and number of colours used should reflect this. Unlike paper screen-printing, colours cannot be layered to create a third colour, nor can colour gradients be used. However, it is possible to use tones of colours; in this instance both the pantone and the percentage tone of the colour should be specified.
The winner will be contacted the week commencing Monday 25th February, 2013. Please bear in mind that if you are the winner, you will need to be able to supply the final artwork as follows:
- The winning artwork will need to be supplied at actual size (see non-bleed and bleed dimensions above).
- The final image format will need to be jpg, tif, pdf or psd; depending on the complexity of the design, we may need a separate image per colour layer for separation.
- The winning artwork will need to be supplied by no later than Monday 18th March, 2013.
1. General Terms and Conditions
1.1. The following Terms and Conditions shall apply for the participation in a competition hosted by ToDryFor.com to any person or company (hereinafter called "Designer"), who submit a graphic illustration or any other form of design (hereinafter called "Design"). These Terms and Conditions are valid at the time of participation.
1.2 The Designer accepts these Terms & Conditions by submitting the Design to ToDryFor.com.
1.3 ToDryFor.com shall retain title to and copyright of any content of the website, drawings and any other documents and information which are protected by intellectual property law and copyright law.
2. Participation in a Competition
2.1 The Designer submits a Design to ToDryFor.com, normally by electronic means. The Designer hereby agrees that ToDryFor.com may publish this Design on the website of ToDryFor.com and that ToDryFor.com may use this Design for advertising, promotional and publishing purposes, and the production of goods, namely printing the Design on tea towels.
2.2. ToDryFor.com reserves the right to modify the Design at any time, with agreement from the Designer. This right to modify relates in particular to changes in colour or the size of the Design or individual elements of the Design.
2.3 The Designer is obliged not to submit the Design to any third party, or use the Design in the production of any other goods.
3. Preconditions for Participation
3.1 Preconditions for any participation by the Designer in a competition hosted by ToDryFor.com are that the Designer is at least 18 years of age, that the Design is the Designer's own exclusive intellectual property and that the Designer has the exclusive copyright and the exclusive right of use of the Design without any limitations.
3.2 The Designer declares and guarantees that the Design does not infringe any trademarks, copyrights, or any other intellectual property rights by third parties by submitting the Design.
3.3 In case of an alleged copyright infringement, the Designer holds harmless and indemnifies ToDryFor.com for any claims, debts and obligations towards third parties and compensates ToDryFor.com for any damages and actual expenditures.
4. Right of Use
4.1 By submitting the Design, the Designer grants ToDryFor.com the perpetual, worldwide and unlimited right to publish the Design on the website of ToDryFor.com or in any other way (e.g. in promotional material). At the same time, the Designer grants ToDryFor.com the perpetual, worldwide and unlimited right to use the Design exclusively and without any limitations for the production of goods, namely printing the Design on tea towels.